Support Breast Cancer Awareness

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the many hats of mommy


As a mom I have worn many hats over the last almost 18 years. Yes, I have been a mom for almost 18 years, I can't believe it myself!!  I have been a baseball man, t-ball mom, PTA mom, room mom, dance chaperone, chauffeur,book store mom, bake sale mom, school office volunteer,  past & current  soccer mom, as well as a soccer coach and MMA momI'm sure there are many more but I am getting tired thinking about all of the rest.

Recently I added a new "hat", I call it wine mommy.  It is not all that new, but as my kids get older it is easier to be a wine mommy also.  What is a wine mommy you ask? It is really just something I made up, actually I saw it on a napkin in Temecula while on my trip, I just wish I would have thought of it first.

I realize alot of my posts seem to involve wine, but I am not a drunk, I swear. I am a mom who is very involved in my kids lives, always on the go, works part time and is a stay at home mom the rest of the time.  I know I am not the only mom that feels the need to de-stress after a long day or long week.  I am not talking falling down stupid drunk, I am talking enjoying a glass or 2 of wine with my husband, some friends and sometimes by myself.  I find nothing wrong with having a glass of wine with girlfriends while the kids play.  If anyone out there is thinking about judging me for it, I suggest you think again.  I never get stupid in front of my kids, I don't give my kids wine or as they refer to it "mommy juice" and a glass or 2 of wine makes for a more relaxed mommy and when mommy is happy, everyone is happy.
 
I am not going to sit and and say I have never gotten drunk because I would be lying. I have gotten a little loopy, just not in front of my kids.  

On Friday nights my neighbors and I would have Friday night driveway happy hours, the kids would play and we would sit in my driveway with appetizers, order pizza or wings and drink our wine, beer or mixed cocktails.  Friday was always the best day of the week and by 3pm we were all usually ready after a long week.  Our husbands would come home and there we would all be sitting with a glass in hand while the kids played and then they got to take over.   By Friday wine mommy was probably my favorite hat and every other mommy's as well. I miss my Cincinnati Friday night driveway happy hour moms, but am lucky to have found some mommy's in Oregon who are willing to carry on my tradition with me.


I don't judge, so if you don't want to be wine mommy, that is cool with me, I accept all mommy's into my world. 



 As Benjamin Franklin said "Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance "

So let's raise a glass to mommy's everywhere and all the hats we wear.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! Wine is totally my destresser. I wish we had the neighbor situation you described in Cincinatti. That would be awesome! Unfortunately, all of my neighbors are older than my parents. Boo!
    Oh and we call it "mommy juice" too. As long as my beverage is in a wine glass (water, milk, soda) my kid won't touch it. If I am not in the mood to share...it is going in a wine glass. LOL

    ReplyDelete